Saturday, December 12, 2015

Holiday QR Codes

QR codes can help students become self-directed learners.  I added QR codes to an existing "Read the Room" counting activity, because I wanted to integrate technology and iPad use into math somehow.   I was able to find a similar counting activity with teen number QR codes, so I just used the pre-made codes for this.  I taped the code on my already-made holiday number cards, then I taped them around the room for my little detectives to find. This was a station, so each table took a turn on a different day of the week.

First, students took a clipboard and recording sheet around the room, to find where I had taped numbers on the wall.  They had to count the dots in the ten frames (teen numbers) and record their answer.  When all the numbers were done, they could get an iPad and use the QR code reader to scan the code to check their answer.  They had a lot of fun, and I'm proud of how independent they were.  









This video shows how students were finishing a counting activity and practicing teen numbers, then could check the accuracy of their work independently, by scanning a code. It was great for self assessment, because if they had reversals (41 instead of 14), or if they miscounted, then they could erase and fix their answer.  It was wonderful to watch them walk around the room and stay engaged.    

I hope I can find more fun activities like this in the future, or else make my own!



No comments:

Post a Comment